15 April 2013

Product Review: L’Occitane Shea Honey Mom Balm

Anyone who is or has been pregnant knows that there comes a time when the skin on your tummy just gets so itchy its almost unbearable. And not to mention the unsightly stretch marks that usually also come during pregnancy. Currently 30 weeks pregnant, I have done my very best to avoid both the itchy skin, and getting too bad stretch marks. So when I was asked to trial the L’Occitane Shea Honey Mom Balm by the lovely and talented makeup artist, Tammerly from Spoilt by Pink Diva, I naturally happily accepted. Here are my thoughts;






What They Say:
Shea Honey Mom Balm is specially formulated for moms and moms-to-be to help nourish, protect and regenerate the body. This formula is rich in organic certified and fair trade attested shea butter (40%), coconut oil and sunflower oil, and is pleasantly fragranced with honey.
Massage into the skin to help prevent stretch marks during and after pregnancy by improving the skin's elasticity and making it more supple. The balm is also ideal to help nourish and care for extremely dry skin.
Colour and preservative free. Guaranteed for very good skin tolerance.


RRP: $28 (50ml) – Available from L’Occitane stores, and L’Occitane Online.

What I Say:

I have previously tried a few products from L’Occitane, which I have really liked, so I was very excited to trial this specific pregnancy balm. And I will give the Shea Honey Mom Balm bonus points for being one of the very few in their product line to be truly natural, and chock full of natural goodies too. The ingredients include organic certified and Fair Trade attested shea butter, coconut oil and sunflower oil, and grape seed oil, and this also means that it contains no preservatives, parabens or other chemicals and no perfume, but rather it is fragranced with sweet honey, so it is perfect for even the most sensitive skin. And of course it is also free fro

I love how the L’Occitane Shea Honey Mom Balm comes in a lovely little vintage style aluminium tin with a screw lid. The 50ml tin seems rather small, and at first glance you would probably find it quite expensive at $28. However, a little seriously goes a long way, so even if you use it frequently, I’d imagine that you would still struggle using it before it expires  - which is 3 months after opening. This short period is simply due to it being so natural and preservative free.

The Shea Honey Mom Balm, is thick and quite greasy, but it has a very soft texture, and once warmed between the hands, it spreads very easy. And as mentioned above, it does absorb into dry skin within a few minutes.  




Even though the balm is fragrance free, it does have a subtle scent to it, from the shea butter, the honey, and other the other natural oils – although I do feel that the strongest scent comes from the honey used in the balm. However, the scent is subtle, and far from overwhelming, as well as it does not linger too much.

As mentioned, once warmed between the hands, it easily spreads across my tummy, and instantly removes any itchiness, and it leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturised – and very importantly itch free for the rest of the day!!

As according to L’Occitane the Mom Balm can also be used to “help nourish and care for extremely dry skin”, I decided to also put it to the test for a few other uses.

I have very dry elbows, and in spite of always moisturising these with my normal body lotion, they just do not seem to be moisturising enough. Since using the Honey Mom Balm on my elbows, they have been ever so soft and moisturised, and even using just the tiniest amount a few times a week, seems to keep them that way.

My husband has a bit of rash/eczema on cheeks, and having very sensitive skin, there are limits to which products he can use. Having used a tiny bit of the Honey Mom Balm on the affected areas every night (he didn’t want to use it during the day, out of fear that he would look too greasy in the face while at work) – and within a week, the effect has been amazing – the redness and flakes are gone, and the skin is so soft and moisturised – and even hubby has realised that the balm absorbs quickly into the dry areas of his skin, leaving no greasiness whatsoever.

I have also used the Shea Honey Mom Balm on my lips, face, hands, nails, feet, elbows, knees…. this is such a magnificent "correcting" balm that simply seems to work wonders on all dry and troublesome areas, and in no time moisture is restored in the skin. Dry and chapped lips turn soft, dehydrated hands and feet are repaired, dry nails and curticles are softened and nourished, and itchy rash and parched skin is instantly relieved and healed.

All in all, I really like this L’Occitane Shea Honey Mom Balm, it truly is a real winner from L'Occitane, and although called Mom Balm, and it works brilliantly during pregnancy, I also highly recommend this as a fantastic multi-purpose treatment product suitable for the whole family, including babies and those simply with very sensitive skin.

*This product was kindly provided for trial by Spoilt by Pink Diva, and it has been reviewed in accordance with my Disclosure Policy.


Have you ever tried any of the products from L’Occitane? Or maybe you have been or are pregnant and have some suggestions for great products to help with an itchy tummy and stretch marks?

 

 
Share:

6 comments

  1. I completely forgot about the itchy tummy. It drove me crazy!! I loved palmers cocoa butter for when my tummy was itchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sure that I will quickly forget about it too, once the little bub comes along. But for now, this L'Occitane does keep it to a minimum, and I agree, Palmers Cocoa Butter is pretty good too!

      Delete
  2. I´m sure that the effort to take care to the own skin during pregnancy will later pay off!

    Wish you further many success, dear Karina, and hope you´re well so far <3

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im certainly hoping that it will pay off later on!!!
      And yes thanks Rena, so far all is going very well and to plan!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply, dear Karina, wish you furthermore that everything runs well :) x Rena

      Delete

Blog Design Created by pipdig